mechanical seal installation for centrifugal pool pumps ...
A more cost-effective way to do this repair is to learn how to do it yourself.Shaft seals are installed on all centrifugal pumps.The purpose of these shaft seals is to prevent the leakage of water or liquid from pumping out along the shaft.
It is very important to understand the mechanical pump seal design.It teaches you how a basic mechanical seal works.So how to change the seal on my swimming pool pump * Please understand!In some swimming pools and spa pumps, the installation of some pump seals is slightly different;However, the main purpose of the seal is the same.
This is to stop the leak.
You must cut off all the power supply of the pump motor before starting the sealing repair.After the power is disconnected, you must lock the main circuit breaker.This will prevent any accidental switching of the power supply.
Some basic tools and parts are needed to replace the mechanical seal of the pool pump to do the job.* Open wrench set and good ratchet set.* New mechanical seal newly installed.* A flat screwdriver.* Sand cloth (sandpaper ).* Bearing horse.Help remove pump impeller.* Replace the new impeller.This is only needed if the one on the pump needs to be replaced.* New volute paper pad.You won\'t be ableUse the original.* Hammer or heavy duty rubber mall.Now that you already have the tools and parts you need to repair, you can proceed.
* Check carefully whether the main circuit breaker is off and locked.* Close the valve on the drain side and suction side of the pool pump.* Loosen the bolt that holds the motor to the bottom plate.
* Remove the motor from the pump part and fix the flexible coupling.* Loosen the drain plug on the housing to release and drain the pump housing.* Loosen the bolt that connects the screw cover plate to the screw shell.
* Loosen the expansion of the pump stand and separate the cover plate from the impeller.Use the back * Bolt.You may need to tap the cover plate gently with a hammer.* Use the ratchet to remove the bolts that hold the impeller in place.
* Pull the impeller down from the pump shaft.If it is difficult to disassemble, please use the bearing puller to help remove.Check the impeller for wear.This will determine whether it must be replaced.
If the impeller is in good condition, be careful when removing.You don\'t want the impeller to break or bend.* After the impeller is removed, remove its hold key from the slot on the shaft.
* Use a screwdriver to remove the spring and the rotating parts of the old seal from the extension end of the pump shaft.* Next, remove the ceramic from the sealing groove of the turbine cover plate (fixed parts of the seal ).To do this, you have to flip the cover plate and tap the damaged seal gently.
* In case the old mechanical seal is completely removed, check whether the pump shaft and sleeve and the sealing groove are damaged.Sometimes you may have to replace the pump shaft, but this is another repair in itself.* Clean the sealing groove with sand cloth and clear water and dry it thoroughly.
Clean the extension end of the shaft and sleeve and remove all rust and dirt.* Open the new mechanical shaft seal and be careful not to contact the polishing surface of the sealing surface.Also do not place the mechanical seal on the workbench.
The surface of the pump seal is easily scratched, and once this happens, your seal is no longer useful.It will leak.* Install the fixed part of the seal (ceramic part with black rubber cup) into the turbine cover.Remember, it has to be installed in the old way.
Also check and make sure that this part of the seal is inserted all the way into the seal groove on the cover plate.* Now slide the rotating part of the pump shaft seal over the extended end of the shaft.Carefully push it down towards the polished surface of the ceramic piece in the turbine cover plate.
* Insert the impeller key into the slot on the pump shaft.* Place the impeller on the shaft, align the groove of the impeller with the key, and slide it in place.* Replace the impeller gasket and suck tight.
Now you\'re ready.
Assemble your pool centrifugal pump.
But first, you need to replace the volute paper washer and fix it in place with a little RTV silicone sealant.Always use non-Hardened silicone lubricants on all pool and spa pump repairs.Do not use Vaseline or any other lubricant made of oil.
They can cause problems by eating some paper and plastic washers.Once the paper pad is in place, you can start to re-Assemble your pump.* Slide the screw shell cover assembly into the screw shell of the pump shell.
* Align the holes of the cap bolts.
* Insert the bolt and tighten it cross.
This helps the cover assembly * slide in place without binding the impeller to the wall of the impeller.housing.* Re-Insert the flexible coupling into the hub and slide the motor back into place;Therefore, align the hub on the motor at the end of the flexible coupling.* Insert the fixing bolts of the motor.Align the pump and motor to ensure proper operation.
* Failure to do so will cause your mechanical seal to fail again.* Open the valve to the discharge end and suction end of the pool pump.* Restore the power supply of the pump motor.
* Run the pump system and check for leaks.Congrats!You just save yourself a bunch of money by replacing the mechanical seal on the pool pump.I invite you to visit my website where you will find a great deal of information that will help you manage the pool/spa properly.
Just click on the link in the resource box